Friday 5 October 2012

THROUGH THE FASHION KEYHOLE: RACHEL SINGER-CLARK


Make-up Artist Rachel Singer-Clark wearing: Dries Van Noten maxi dress, (sandals beside her also by Dries Van Noten).

I first met Rachel Singer-Clark about five years ago when she was assisting on the Beauty desk at Grazia. And still to the this day I have never seen anyone so glamours as she in the office. 
From her bouncy, glossy tousled hair, down to her Louboutin clad feet (not the usual intern get-up) Rachel bobbed up and down the office in her über efficient manner, turning the heads of everyone, particularly the fashion team...
“Oh my goddd... who's that?!” I remember saying to my colleague “She looks AMAZING! And how come she has those Sass & Bide Black Rats leggings when they're sold out EVERYWHERE?!”
(I was obsessed, I got them in the end, but way after Rachel was wearing them).
But that's Rachel down to a t. Incredibly glamorous and one helluva sassy shopper. 
The now professional make-up artist, is an eBay queen, second hand designer shop maestro, and the only person I know who walks out of TK Maxx (on a regular basis) with bulging shopping bags containing the likes of Alaïa and Lanvin, when all I've ever seen in there is surplus high street stock of stuff no one else wants! Frankly, if she  wasn't one of the loveliest people I've ever met I'd be sick with jealously! 
But it's not just Rachel's incredible wardrobe (which (for the record) is bursting with a caliber of vintage Celine, Dolce and Dries collectables that would send even that most well clad fashionista into a frenzy) that dictates how great she always looks, as with all extremely stylish women, it's the way Rachel puts her outfits together. 
In Rachel's case this comes from a powerful combination of two things:  her natural instinct for what works, and a sheer love and appreciation of fashion. 
When I grow up I want to be like Rachel (the fact that I'm three years her senior is by the by).

I met up with Rachel on the last sunny Saturday of September, just before the shows started, had a good ol' root around her wardrobe and snapped her in a few of her fabulous wears... Enjoy! 

Rachel wears: Alaia top, skirt by Dolce & Gabbana, with a Stella McCartney clutch and Balenciaga shoes.

Rachel wears: a vintage dress, with a Chanel bag, Hermes cuff and Jimmy Choo sandals.

Rachel wears: top by Prada, Tibi trousers, Celine bag, with Lanvin sandals.

Rachel wears: Isabel Marant coordinating top and skirt, Daks portfolio clutch and shoes by Christian Louboutin.

I ASKED RACHEL...

HER VITAL STATS:
Age: 25
Occupation: Professional make-up artist 
Address: East Finchley, London

WHAT INSPIRES YOU WHEN GETTING DRESSED IN THE MORNING?
I'm generally inspired, and outfit dependent on the weather and the day ahead’s tasks. I can be shooting outside, in meetings, or at a client’s home for example, and I always need to feel comfortable and able to move, to work freely. 

WHO ARE YOUR STYLE ROLE MODELS? 
My style role model would have to be my grandma, she is a seamstress and has always had a uniform way of dressing, I’ve never seen her wear trousers or a flat shoe, she always has her hair styled immaculately with slides. Wears heels, tab tights, a fitted dress and a cardigan, with a neck scarf to match.
And also a dear friend of mine, who is a knitwear designer, her style is so eclectic. But she always raises the bar, it makes me challenge myself and attempt new shapes or colours because I can never predict what colour, texture or fabric she will wear, which excites and inspires me.

WHICH ARE YOUR FAVOURITE SHOPS/LABELS/DESIGNERS? 
My favourite designers who every season I seem to fall head-over-heels for are Lanvin, Stella McCartney and Celine.
In the summer I try to lighten up with Missoni, Dries Van Noten, Chanel and Alaia, just to soften the mix. 
I adore eBay. I search long and hard but sometimes there are great finds to be had and other times there’s nothing. I also trail different cities when I’m traveling with work to find designer bargains and outlets.

WHAT ARE THE MOST TREASURED ITEMS IN YOUR WARDROBE?
That would have to be my Globe-Trotter suitcase that holds my (make-up) kit. I couldn’t live without it! 

A Globe-Trotter of treats: if you get bored of anything Rach, call me! xxx

P.S Rachel is an incredible make-up artist, who I've had the pleasure of working with many times. To view her work click here.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely post - I love that peach vintage dress! I know EXACTLY which S&B trousers you're talking about, I tried to get them too! xx

    South Molton St Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fashion stunner!

    ReplyDelete